Is It Time to Outsource Your Records Management?
First, let’s consider why you might not be outsourcing your records management:
- You believe it’s more affordable to do it yourself.
- You feel you have more control over your documents.
- You want to make sure your files are secure.
These are common myths that can cause your organization real harm, so in this blog, we’re going to bust them one by one.
It seems obvious that keeping your files in-house would be more affordable than outsourcing your records management, but here are the reasons why that’s likely not true:
- Productivity. The staff you have managing your documents internally could be relieved of having to maintain filing, imaging, and locating lost files and allowed to focus on the primary job responsibilities they were hired for. You will also increase their morale and value when they are exercising their expertise rather than doing the filing.
- Document (Mis)Handling. It is costly and time consuming when documents are mishandled, lost, filed incorrectly, or just hard to find. If your document management procedures are weak, your company is at risk of a security breach, and that cost can be astronomical. The reputation of the company is at risk and any data breach is difficult to recover from. A good records management company will offer an unbroken chain of custody through the life of all your documents to leave you with a peace of mind.
- Compliance. You are legally responsible to be knowledgeable about—and compliant with—all laws pertaining to the management of Personally Identifiable Information (PII). Failure to protect your clients’ information is far more costly than paying for a professional records management company to work with you. Is your company familiar with and following the Privacy Act, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX), the Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act (FACTA)? If your records are medically-related, are you also compliant with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)?
Even though your documents are offsite, a great records management provider will ensure your files are always at your fingertips. The right record management service will utilize the best and most current technology for inventory setup, indexing, auditing, and file search. You won’t need to purchase, maintain, or update the required technology. Your staff won’t need to stay trained to operate the necessary equipment. Your files will still be available at any time, including for Scan on Demand. Having your files offsite will allow your business to have more available space.
Making sure you actively protect confidential information is critical. Having your files offsite is a good first step in keeping your files secure. A good document storage facility will be equipped with 24-hour security systems, alarm systems and complete fire protection for the safety and security of your documents.
Trade your internal document management for professional records management and reap all the benefits to your business, from cost efficiency, to improved morale, to better protection from data breaches.
Docusafe provides professional, secure records management services businesses in New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania. To learn more, give us a call at 888-264-7367 or complete the form on this page. We want to hear about what you need.
Request Your Quote
When You're Ready, Let's Talk!